November 3, 2018

Red Knapp's Original Hamburger, "The Nap Burger" without any toppings

Rainy day in Oxford, Michigan. I couldn't help starting for downtown Oxford by bicycle. I make the most of my time because I am here for only 3 days!

It felt pretty long from his house to the downtown. I didn't remember the roads exactly, and a heavy rain overwhelmed me while I had a short rest under the trees.

Whew, here I am at last!!!



I hooked "my" bicycle to the pole. It was really a coincidence that a waiter offered me a table by the window in front of my bicycle!

The view form the window.  How nice it is! I can see downtown Oxford while I enjoy my lunch. It was like a reward for my hard trip in a rainy day.



I have been looking forward to coming here for the first time. I ordered "The Nap Burger", Red Knapp's Original. There was an option to choose toppings, but I decided to taste an original burger simply at first.

Homemade buns are cut into halves, uniquely put on the plate. Somewhat flat, somewhat light brown buns of Red Knapp's.

During 1930's, Red Knapp started a restaurant in Rochester, providing simple food to local patrons. In 1996, Red Knapp's American Grill in Oxford became a local favorite and has been continuing to be successful.



In spite that I didn't order any toppings like cheese, tomato, or others, chopped onions, sliced zucchinis, and mayonnaise were served in the bowl with ketchup and mustard. I like this style! I made my own hamburger.

Though water with ice was refreshing after pedaling a bicycle, I ordered draft Bud Light additionally♪

Brett Knapp, Red Knapp's grandson owns Red Knapp's American Grill in Oxford. He graduated Michigan State University with a degree in business administration in 1992.



Later, I knew that one of Red Knapp's son still operates Red Knapp's Dairy Bar in Rochester. It is heartwarming. On the internet, I saw same-style hamburgers as Oxford.

I was looking at the "quaint" town. I'll stay here until the rain stops. Red Knapp's was my comfortable shelter.



Finally, it stopped raining. I hung around downtown Oxford, leaving my bicycle hooked.



When you have a change to come through downtown Oxford...



 Take notice of these "quaint" buildings. It is a feature of this town.



Quietness rather than liveliness. Still, I like this small town.



Collie bought this bicycle a few years ago for me to use while he were at work. Now, he calls it "his" bicycle. I returned, "My bicycle!".  "I can't ride?", he answered.

Rose "Yes, you can...(--)"

I  liked it when he said "I can't ride?" instead of "It is mine."

In my childhood, I got hurt because all my family had their own bicycles, but I was not given one for myself. It was scary to walk home from the station at dark night since after I was followed by a groper. But it was ignored by family.

So, when Collie bought a bicycle for me, my heart was healed.

All right, Collie. It is your bicycle. It is your bicycle which I can ride, too.



The historical building had been vacant for several years. Brett Knapp and his father designed together and did a majority of the renovations.

Brett has also been energetic in the real state development market in Oxford. He has renovated some buildings in downtown Oxford, one of which had been unoccupied for years, and now, it is actively full.

Shall we go to Red Knapp's?  To enjoy American-Italian with modern lodge-vibe, and feel a family tradition.