November 18, 2018

White Horse Inn, Metamora. Once, it was Michigan's oldest restaurant.

It had been a place I'd like to visit since I searched for it on the internet when he e-mailed me a few pictures. He took a stroll in the park of Metamora for a while to refresh himself.

I saw one impressive restaurant on the net. That was White Horse Inn.


One of the oldest original buildings in the city. It started as a general store in 1848, and 2 years later, it was converted into an inn and stagecoach stop which charged 50 cents for overnight guests.

Due to the line Michigan Central Railroad built in Metamora in 1872, it became a welcoming rest stop for weary travelers, coming by stagecoach or train. A hearty dinner of boiled mutton, oyster sauce and a draft beer were served for 10 cents.


Wear-and-tear White Horse Inn abruptly closed its doors in 2012.
From 1929 to 2012,  White Horse Inn had truly remained Michigan's oldest restaurant.

Renovated and rebuilt, it officially opened in November 2014. White Horse Inn was given a new life, with the reinvigorated architecture and menu for the 21st century.

 

Quiet, small old town welcomed us. It was my first visit.

Metamora is a village in Lapeer County in Michigan.

 

The entire Metamora community donated time and skill to the renovation.


I ordered Hess Chardonnay from Monterey, California! The rich taste was a wonderful start of the dinner.

When posting on this, I found M. Lawrence Green Sparking on the menu. Wow! It is made in Michigan. I'll have to taste it next time. :)


The decor in the restaurant was carefully created with the past in mind, paying respect to the history.

Spinach Artichoke Dip $10 as an appetizer.

Fresh spinach, chunky artichoke, baked parmesan, tortilla chips. 

It was a big hit for me(us)!!! Tastes really good! It goes with wine, of course also beer♪

Plenty, plenty enough for an appetizer... It is a pretty big plate. I want to eat it again. I want to order only this one as a main dish for 2 persons and enjoy 2 glasses of wine for myself. When I told that to Collie, he laughed. Maybe we can, but, a waitress would say "Yes? Anything else!?"

I really recommend Spinach Artichoke Dip to you! 

How about ordering another dish and sharing 2 menus with 2 persons? I'd like to try that when we visit there again.

Goulash  Hungarian-Style    - Limited-time menu -

It tempted me because it was written "award-winning". Though the sauce was a little sweet for me, it was good. I couldn't eat it all, so had a box to take the leftovers home. (Collie added one slice of his chicken to it.)

Caesar $10 + chicken breast $5 from add-ons

Romaine, parmesan, fresh-baked croutons, house-made dressing with chicken on top.

Our main dishes were served with breads, which were very tasty like authentic French breads.


It is great that it was renovated with the design to bring in an equestrian theme, paying homage to the stagecoach days.

Tranquillity in downtown Metamora


People will come to White Horse Inn from other counties, too, even from other states...

Once, it was an inn dedicated to travelers by stagecoach or train.