February 6, 2021

What in the world is this? Kampin Kappeli (Kamppi Chapel), the Chapel of Silence in Helsinki, Finland.

Probably you wouldn't recognize it is a chapel at once, unless you were already provided with some information about it in advance.

What in the world is this?
Kampin kappeli   Simonkatu 7, Narinkkatori 00100 Helsinki
What in the world is this? You never know it's a chapel at a glance. It is located quietly aside on the Narinkka Square. I wanted to come inside, but I regrettably missed. I found it is available from 10:00 - 18:00 when I was trying to enter. It was about 18:20. 


June 16, 2019. People sitting out must be Helsinki locals. Now we are facing Covid-19 pandemic and can't even think about traveling abroad, for a few years, perhaps? 


The unique chapel is created by stacking layers of bent wood and also known as "Chapel of Silence." It is a place to calm down and have a moment of silence. I think it is a good thing a quiet place like this is being prepared every day for people who need a peaceful time in one of the busiest areas in Finland.  

Photography is not allowed inside Kamppi Chapel, nor a whisper, considering people who visited here with a hope to be covered in silence. 

Kampin kappeli   Simonkatu 7, Narinkkatori 00100 Helsinki
I visited here again next day in the morning and came inside as I wished. Inside the rare creation, gentle light from the sky was shining softly. After spending a while, I left. It was a day I flied back to Japan.  

You can look at the inside and see how the ceiling is at www.kampinkappeli.fi

Kamppi Chapel was opened to the public in June, 2012. You are free to visit the chapel during opening hours 10:00 - 18:00...every day!
Yours sincerely, Rose